Skip to main content

Resident perishes in Sunday night fire

March 4, 2014

Firefighters from Coventry's fire districts battle a fatal Knotty Oak Road blaze Sunday night. Submitted Photo.

COVENTRY--A male was killed Sunday night after a fire broke out at his residence, almost fully engulfing the home.

Coventry Fire District Chief Paul Labbadia said his fire district received a call at 7:20 p.m. about a fire at 290 Knotty Oak Road.

When they arrived, he said, three quarters of the home was fully involved with flames and a neighbor reported that there was somebody inside.

Crews from Coventry, Central Coventry and Hopkins Hill Fire District’s worked aggressively to find the victim, he said.

“We tried to put the line between the fire and him; we knew where his bedroom was, but once we forced the rear door open they found him not too far away from the rear door,” he explained.

The victim was described as a middle-aged male; his name was not released pending next of kin notification.

Labbadia said it took crews approximately an hour to extinguish the fire inside the home, which was condemned.

He said the fire marshal believes the fire started in a faulty chimney near the garage, quickly spreading throughout the whole house.

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes